Re: Default script installation

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 05:49:10PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Forwarding to the list:

>>> I didn't want to force folks to do anything :(
>>
>> And now replying:
>>
>> The autodep method just about works for Base packages, but is simply
>> not an option for any non-Base packages. So if any non-Base packages
>> are to use /etc/defaults/, it's really not feasible at all.
>
> Why does it have anything to do with Base packages?  We know it isn't
> a perfect solution.  We've discussed this to death.

Like this:
- User installs Cygwin. Current version of update-defaults runs.
- User later installs another package (non-Base) It's /etc/defaults files
are not copied.
- Problem.

If the package is Base, it will already have been installed, hence less of a
problem.

> It would probably be slightly more perfect if 1) the postinstall
> scripts were run in a known order and 2) dependencies were tracked
> during local installs.

1) The order is known, but perhaps not ideal.
2) They are.

> Given the glacial progress of setup.exe development, I guess neither
> is likely to happen soon.

That was a hint, wasn't it :-)

Max.