Re: /etc/setup/setup.cfg ?

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:38:57 -0000 Max Bowsher <maxb at ukf dot net> wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > There have been bits of persistent state that people wanted to store
> > for setup.  I'm proposing an Xdefaults-style setup.cfg in /etc/setup.
> > If we compile a list of things to go in there, I could write a parser
> > for it (I don't think it merits yacc, like the one for setup.ini :-D).
>
> Ok, but we need to decide: Is this going to be user-edited, or
> setup-edited?
> I.e., there is no point in allowing comments, if they get removed every
> time setup re-writes the file.

There is probably no harm in allowing comments, just have the first
one written by setup warn that the file is generated by setup so manual
changes will be overwritten.

Being able to tweak it manually would be useful even if it is replaced
by setup each run.  For example, it would be an easy way to
temporarily remove a mirror.

Keeping /etc/setup/timestamp separate might still be useful.

> Also, what do we do about multi-valued items - e.g. which mirrors are
> selected. (Or do we just continue with the legacy storage for
> last-mirror/last-cache/timestamp?)

I'd prefer to see all the persistent setup information in one place.
I was going to suggest moving the mirror list to the new file, but you
beat me to it.

As for what to do before the mount points are created, what happens
to the mirror list now if all the user does is download files and
Cygwin isn't installed locally?

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html