Re: /etc/setup.conf

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
>
>> Ok, a few pragmatic thoughts:
>>
>> * When do we parse it?
>> It's not trivial:
>> - if we parse on startup, and the user changes the cygwin / path
>> during runtime, should we revert to defaults?
>> - if we wait for the / path to be chosen, we can't store any pre-/
>> dialog settings.
>> - if we parse on startup, and don't revert to defaults, can anything
>> go --wrong--?
>>
>> For now, I'm inclined to parse and set only after / is chosen.
>> Rob
>
> FWIW, I agree.  If the user wants to install to a different /, we
> don't
> want to reuse the settings from the old installation.
>
> Also, what pre-/ dialog settings are there, "download source" and
> "antivirus control"?  Frankly, I don't think they are worth storing
> in the .conf file - mostly because a) one might want to take a
> different action
> every time, and b) it could be enough for them to be controlled by
> command-line options.

I disagree, and propose this solution:

On startup, try to find setup.conf via the mount table. If found, load, if
not, don't.
On leaving the / mount page, check if it was changed, if so, try to load the
new setup.conf.

I think we should *not* revert to defaults in this case. Yes, this means
that settings from <oldroot>/etc/setup.conf will be propagated to
<newroot>/etc/setup.conf - I don't think this is a problem.

Max.