RE: setup.. release ready?

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, John Morrison wrote:

> > From: Robert Collins
> >
> > That shouldn't prevent you using a local mirror though. Does it prevent
> > you using a local mirror?
>
> <thoughtful>humm, nooo</thoughtful> that would work, the only
> (minor) complication then would be that folks would need to keep
> the cygwin cache stuff on their machines as well as the setup app
> (at the moment, everything is stored on my machine which folks using
> setup via the share too) which, being a (predominate) Microsoft shop
> might make folks less likely to want to install cygwin...

John,

It's named a "cache" for a reason.  They don't *need* to keep it, they
could just blow it away after every installation.  In fact, there's
another command-line option that would be useful for shops that keep local
mirrors...

> Question: are there any instructions on how to setup a local mirror?
> do I have to merge the two setup.ini files I get from the internet
> mirrors?  Do I have to run a webserver? (I do anyway, but...)

Yes, you do have to run a web- (or ftp-, or rsync) server.  You will have
to create a (or modify an existing) setup.ini, so that it contains the
information about all the packages that you have on the local mirror
(which will allow you to also provide older or newer packages, as well as
more than 2-3 versions of each package).

> [snip]

Hope this helps,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II