Re: A modest proposal #1: /opt

Max Bowsher wrote:

Because of this non-reserved nature of /opt, what about using
/usr/<packagename> - after all, we already have /usr/autotool, and kerberos
often goes into /usr/kerberos, doesn't it?

No, no, no, a thousand times no. It has already been established that we (the cygwin-apps readership, collectively) do not want an explosion of directory names under / or /usr. I regret having used /usr/autotool; I was young and stupid -- but it's really too late to fix it now. And as for kerberos, I've seen /kerberos, /opt/kerberos, /usr/kerberos, and /usr/local/kerberos. Of those, ONLY /opt/kerberos is FHS sanctioned.

I realize that cygwin cannot precisely follow the FHS in all cases, for a variety of reasons. But why go OUT of our way to invent new and different ways to do things when the FHS way *will* work? Just to be different?

This leaves the contested /opt heirarchy safely untouched.

It's not "contested"! It's dual-use, exactly as specified by the FHS. And an explosion of subdirectories is precisely what /opt is supposed to contain, so no problems there. The only time you'd run into conflicts in /opt is if you wanted to compile 'foo' into /opt/foo/ manually, AND there was a "foo" package already on the mirror system which you have already installed, and which either (a) just so happened to be one of the rare instances in which we (cygwin-apps) deemed it necessary to use the /opt heirarchy, or (b) the "foo" package was part of the unsupported/ AND used /opt instead of /usr/local. [see RFD #2]. IF all of that is true (NOT very likely IMO) -- then there's a simple solution: use setup to uninstall the foo package, if you really really really want to roll your own!

--
Chuck