Re: PCRE package for consideration

Hallo Ronald,

> Cygwin != Windows but Cygwin does run on Windows. Hence, we need a DLL,
> and, for Cygwin, we need a "special" prefix for the libs: "cyg"

This is handled by libtool-1.5 automatically.

> Also, the ON_WINDOWS and NOT_ON_WINDOWS makes it behave properly on MinGW,
> which is part of what I wanted

MinGW is another build, I don't have touched the MinGW part, it should
build for MinGW as before with my changes.

>> [1] = relibtoolizing et.al. with the included reconf-cygwin.sh
>>       shellscript
> The Cygwin/Windows part doesn't use Libtool for a reason: DLLs don't get
> created properly with the current libtool (as you have apparently found
> out in another mail).

This is not true, the current libtool is 1.5 and it works great!

> Also: this ON_WINDOWS stuff is just a generalized version of the patch
> Corinna has developed for PCRE - the only difference being that it also
> works for MinGW. I see no reason to change it, at least until DLL support
> in Libtool on Cygwin works properly.

The point is that with the current, patched pcre Makefiles, the name
of the DLL is cygpcre.dll which is IMO wrong, the real name is
assigned by libtool according to the API version and should be
cygpcre-0.dll, since the current libtool-1.5 release (aka
libtool-devel on Cygwin) works well, why not give it a try.  I do this
all the time for various libraries, and did it all the time for the
libexpat releases.

>> Also I would like to see the huge HTML docu in the binary distribution
>> (I changed the build script to install it, too).
> That might be a good idea - I'll apply that part of your "patch"

Thanks.

>> The additional flag -no-undefined can be provided as a patch to the
>> original source since it should be no problem to use this on Unix too.
> That would probably mean that mr Hazel (the original author) will have to
> relibtoolize, but I do agree with you on it - though there is no real
> reason to do so except in preparing for the day Libtool works properly on
> Cygwin..

You should ask him to upgrade to libtool-1.5 as soon as possible so
the problems that bothered us before on Cygwin are gonr then!

>> Attached the patch and the changed buildscript and my testlog.
> Thanx :)

>> I built with utf8 support (why is not-utf8 the default?).
> Don't know - I'd have to ask.

>> Please try it;)
> I have :)

Regards,