Re: ITP: ProFTPD

Corinna,

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:21:11PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 08:58:17AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >     #User                SYSTEM
> >     #Group               Administrators
> >
> > which I think is a little more self-documenting

IMO, the following:

    #User                SYSTEM
    #Group               Administrators

is more self-documenting then:

    User                 18
    Group                544

Although, I may be biased since English is my native (and only)
language.

> > and are the compiled in defaults anyway.

The proftpd source has the following:

    /* Definition of root user/group IDs (non-Unix platforms may have
     * these as different from 0/0).
     */

    #ifdef __CYGWIN__
    # define PR_ROOT_UID    18
    # define PR_ROOT_GID    544
    #else
    # define PR_ROOT_UID    0
    # define PR_ROOT_GID    0
    #endif /* __CYGWIN__ */

which obviates the need for the User and Group directives in the config
file.

> > > Or create a proftpd-install script in /usr/bin which allows
> > > interactive settings as in e. g. ssh-host-config.
> >
> > Unfortunately, Cygwin proftpd only functions correctly when run under
> > SYSTEM and Administrators, so the above is moot.
>
> It isn't.

I meant the proftpd-host-config script is moot because of the above
problem -- not the need to specify the proftpd user and group in a
language independent way.

> The problem is that the Administrators group has different names in
> different local Windows variants.  While SYSTEM is not translated, the
> Administrators group is.  E. g. in a german system it's called
> "Administratoren" (note the different plural form).

I know, I know.  Guess what (language) version of NT was the one that
caused me grief in the past? :,)

> Therefore it makes sense to use numerical values.

Do you still feel this way?  If so, then I will acquiesce.

Jason