Re: minires-0.95 - a new package ready for review

elfyn@is.ubertales.co.uk wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Jari Aalto+list.cygwin-apps wrote:

'minires' is ready for review. It's GPL. Download page at

http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Humblet_Pierre_A/V1.1/

The "make install" script makes a backup of last unison version, that's why two .exe files below. I dind't change that. The postinstall.sh is smart enough not to step on toes of future bind(1) contribution.

Download source and binary packages from here:

http://tierra.dyndns.org:81/cygwin/minires

Jari

Ok, the binary package is fine, except your still using the template README ie., you haven't changed the '<PKG>' and '<VER>' bits.

Elfyn

Oh, and I vote for this.

Is there any reason why this cannot be put in the cygwin (or newlib) source tree? AFAICT, Pierre used BSD licensed source code as a basis for his work, so it wouldn't violate RedHat's licensing if Pierre gave his ok. This is definitely an area where newlib is deficient (unless you are linux-based) and thus impedes the ability for portability from *nix -> win. This is basic core functionality nowadays, and as such it ought to be included with the core distribution. At the very least, it is installing POSIX system headers, so that ought to be justification enough to include it. We already have started (obviously not completed) doing this in another case, IPC semaphores. It seems that similar reasoning should apply to the resolver services. Now as to whether it should be spun as a separate dll/import library (-lresolv), is another matter, entirely. Of course, feel free to disagree, as I could be wrong ;-).

Cheers,
Nicholas