Re: minires-0.95 - a new package ready for review

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> cgf@redhat.com wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:51:46AM -0400, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
> >
> >>libresolv is a standalone library on many unixes, for example BIND
> >>installs this lib. I see no reason to include the library into newlib,
> >>let's keep it standalone.
> >

> > newlib has standalone libraries now.  Putting it in newlib gets it into
> > the cygwin distribution automatically.  You don't have to know that it
> > has to be selected.
>
> Yes, especially since the great EL/IX III import :-D
>
> > Alternately, we could also make the resolver package part of the base
> > distribution and/or have the cygwin package depend on it.
>
> We should make it easier on the developer, packaging it with the rest of
> the newlib/cygwin package just makes sense.  Not to dispute this with
> anyone, but again, this is something that is core functionality in this
> day and age.  Although tenuous, I might point to Debian or RedHat or
> even MacOS X and ask: is libresolve distributed separate from the
> package the libc/libm dll is in?  I think putting it into a separate
> import/dll library makes sense and is consistent with how linux/bsd/sun
> do it.

On Red Hat (GNU/)Linux ;-) libresolv is part of glibc (the package) and is built
as a seperate lib.

There's two approaches that's been mentioned:

  1) Have minires as a stand-alone package or a package that cygwin depends on

or

  2) Move minires into winsup/resolv

Not to dismiss Jari's efforts, but I think it would be better to go with the
winsup approach.

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney (mailto:spambot@is.ubertales.co.uk)