Re: HEADSUP package maintainers: Welcome to Cygwin 1.5.0

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>   Packages which depend on external libs should be newly build only
>   if all external libs have been newly build first.  E.g. vim depends
>   on ncurses.  So I, the vim maintainer, will wait with creating a new
>   vim version until Charles, the ncurses maintainer, has created a new
>   ncurses version.

Sorry if this question sounds dense, but can you please
clarify something for me:

Is waiting until all dependent libraries really enough, or
should VIM and it's DLL dependencies all be brought forward
lock-step? I'm sure whether something fails will depend on
whether it actually used those features, but once ncurses
has been updated, is it possible VIM won't work until it's
been updated as well?

If so, this would mean you'd need to coordinate the upgrade
of cygintl-2.dll and cygiconv-2.dll at the same time, right?

 $ cygcheck vim.exe
 Found: .\vim.exe
 Found: C:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe
 vim.exe
   .\cygwin1.dll
     C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
       C:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll
   .\cygintl-2.dll
     .\cygiconv-2.dll
   .\cygncurses6.dll

 Use -h to see help about each section
 $ _

If so, is running cygcheck against all of your executables
and DLLs (if not already used by your executables) enough
to identify all of your dependencies? Or is there a more
preferred way? For packages on "auto-pilot" that just pull
in whatever configure tells them to, it would be nice to
make checking such dependencies as painless as possible.

gsw