Re: new package proposal : CLISP

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:59:24AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> $ ls /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ | wc -l
> 41
> $ cygcheck -c | wc -l
> 206
> so only 20% of packages supply this cygwin-specific README.
You forgot the ones in /usr/doc/Cygwin - but that doesn't matter: the fact
that not all packages have their own README (which is partly explained by
there being multiple packages derived from one source - e.g. [lib]pcre*)
doesn't mean it is any less mandatory - the maintainers should fix this (which
apparenly includes me, BTW, as my pcre-4.4-README is in the wrong place - will
be fixed with the next release).

> Oh well, I can throw something together.
You can find a generic README here:
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/packaging/templates/generic-readme?content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=cygwin-apps
(linked from http://cygwin.com/setup.html#package_contents, so you should
already know that :)

> so you want me to keep a separate 7MB source tar file just for the sake
> of redundantly redundant identical information already contained
> elsewhere.
>
> Oh well, disk space is cheap.
Actually, the source tarball generated by your build script (using method 2) is
not necessarilly the one you send out. Personally, I've patched the script up
a wee bit to copy the README to the right location from the root (i.e.
/usr/src) dir when rolling up the package, so I don't keep any copies of
sources around - have a look at the pcre buildscript if you want to see what
I did.

> > > Oh boy....
> > >
> > > I upgraded to 1.5.3 last Friday and I cannot _configure_!
> > > the configure scripts fail with:
> > >
> > > ./configure --with-module=syscalls --with-module=regexp --build --fsstnd=redhat --with-module=dirkey --with-module=bindings/win32 --with-module=clx/new-clx --with-libsigsegv-prefix=/usr/local/libsigsegv-cygwin build-O
> > > executing /cygdrive/d/gnu/clisp/current/build-O/avcall/configure --srcdir=../../ffcall/avcall --with-module=syscalls --with-module=regexp --with-module=dirkey --with-module=bindings/win32 --with-module=clx/new-clx --with-libsigsegv-prefix=/usr/local/libsigsegv-cygwin --cache-file=../config.cache
> > > configure: error: invalid package name: module
> > >
> > > the cause is an `expr' call which unexpectedly fails.
> > > if I add any other `expr' call right before the failing one, it works...
> > >
> > > advice?!
> >
> > Umm, sorry, I'm not as configure-savvy as I'd like to be...  Do you
> > use autoconf?
>
> yes.
>
> > If so, did you re-run it after upgrading?
>
> yes.
>
> > It would help knowing which versions of autotools you have installed.
>
> autoconf             2.57a-1        OK
> automake             1.7.5a-1       OK
I can't reproduce the problem (I have the same autotools versions you do).
A bit more info on what you're doing might help - did you change anything else
than the Cygwin version?

HTH

rlc

--
                   Jail: Just Another Interpreted Language
                         Just: Jail Uses Silly Terms

          Join the discussion on the definition of this language at
jail-ust-lang@lists.sourceforge.net           http://jail-ust.sourceforge.net
(send mail to jail-ust-lang-subscribe@lists.sourceforge.net)