Re: new package proposal : CLISP

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:29:02PM +0200, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:59:24AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> > $ ls /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ | wc -l
> > 41
> > $ cygcheck -c | wc -l
> > 206
> > so only 20% of packages supply this cygwin-specific README.
> You forgot the ones in /usr/doc/Cygwin - but that doesn't matter: the fact
> that not all packages have their own README (which is partly explained by
> there being multiple packages derived from one source - e.g. [lib]pcre*)
> doesn't mean it is any less mandatory - the maintainers should fix this (which
> apparenly includes me, BTW, as my pcre-4.4-README is in the wrong place - will
> be fixed with the next release).

I was interested in what packages don't have these so I figured it out. I
only have around 100 packages installed so YMMV. But it is clear from this
list that a lot of these packages are maintained by Chris, Chuck, and Corinna,
which made me think that the README is in fact optional. Then I looked at
cygwin.com/setup.html and it looks like mostly it says "any README" (i.e.,
include one if necessary), except with this paragraph:

In your binary package, include a file
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/foo-vendor-suffix.README containing (at a minimum) the
information needed for an end user to recreate the package. This includes
CFLAGS settings, configure parameters, etc.

Now, I propose that if the package builds OOTB with the settings from
cygwin.com/setup.html, you can skip the README, but it is still
recommended to have a README. Also it would be nice to note in the README
what packages you need for compiling (gcc, make, perl, gettext, etc.)
to avoid downloading the source only to have to go back and download
libintl27-devel or something.

My list of no-README packages:

_update-info-dir
ash