Re: new package proposal : CLISP

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:39:28PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> * In message <3F5E1CB4.7040200@lapo.it>
>> * On the subject of "Re: new package proposal :  CLISP"
>> * Sent on Tue, 09 Sep 2003 20:32:20 +0200
>> * Honorable Lapo Luchini <...> writes:
>>
>> Anyway I have email in signature, and you too ^_^"""
>> (but anyway it's a "Godd Thing" as a general rule)
>
>I think it is a waste of time and effort.
>use spam filtering and/or sue the spammers.
>making your e-mail address unaccessible makes lives of the honest people
>worse while not reducing your spam stream enough to make spam filtering
>unnecessary.
>
>Just MNSHO.

I'm torn on this issue.  On the one hand, I hate giving in to spammers.
On the other, there is, IMO, no good reason to include an email address
in the signature or in the body of a message.  It doesn't really serve
any purpose.  If you want to reply to email, hit the 'r' key.  Don't
scan the signature and type that in.  If hitting reply doesn't do the
right thing, then fix that.

Similarly, saying:

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:39:28PM -0400, A User <aaaspam@sources.redhat.com> wrote:
>blah

doesn't provide any useful information either.  It's nice to know who
wrote the text (A User) but you don't need their email address for that.
If this is a mailing list you should be responding to the mailing list.
If the person isn't on the mailing list, then they should be in the cc.
Adding the email address to the body is just noise and does not, IMO,
add any useful info.

That is the one reason why I've requested dropping of email addresses
from the body of messages.  It acts as spam fodder *and* it isn't really
useful.