Re: package download stats?

<http://bitpass.com/> :-p

> But, seriously, I just wanted to make it less than trivial to use.  It
> shouldn't be as easy as opening
> http://cygwin.com/downloadstats.cgi?apache to register an apache download.

Yeah, who needs simple stuff?

Although, actually, you do need a bit more than that -- at least the
version of the package and the mirror it was downloaded from, and it would
also be nice if all the packages were included in one http connection,
rather than 50 separate connections for 50 packages (the POST method comes
to mind).

The passthrough script above is something like what I've mentioned as
having written already (which you so graciously snipped from your reply).
;-)

> >That's kind of what I was hinting at when I said "every setup run makes an
> >http connection to cygwin.com".  The problem with this approach is that it
> >won't give any package download statistics, and won't be able to detect
> >aborted setup runs.  Depends on what accuracy you want, I guess...
>
> Actually, after I said that, I realized that we already gather page hit
> statistics.  I'm more interested in seeing what people actually are
> downloading for packages, though.
>
> cgf

Exactly.
	Igor