Re: [forwarded email: cygwin mirrors and installation]

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 05:35:24PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 13:02, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>
> > You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, but is there some way to query
> > ftp/http servers for how much load they're under?
>
> Not as a standard.
>
> Thinking out loud, what we roughly want is:
> -users can choose any mirror explicitly.
> -on the first run, setup lists the servers in their 1/3 of the world
> (say europe, asia, americas) and randomly chooses one from there,
             ^^, africa,
> letting them alter the choice, or click something to see the entire
> list.
> -when we implement this, setup treats it as a watershed event on
> existing installs, and displays a little explanation and consider 'first
> run' to be occuring.
Do "we" actually have information on where the different mirrors are? For all
of them?

Would it, as a temporary measure, be possible to randomize the mirror list for
new installs so the first pick is not necesserilly the first alphabetical one?
I think that would probably be a lot easier to implement than the final
solution, and would help a little bit already..

Is there a way to know whether the user explicily chose their mirror (other
than it not being the first in the list, and there only being one)?

Just thinking..

rlc

--
operators on strike due to broken coffee machine