Re: Pending Packages List, 2003-10-21

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Hallo Daniel,
>
> Am Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2003 um 19:00 schriebst du:
>
> > This is the list of pending packages as of Tuesday, October 21, 2003.
>
> [...]
>
> > Package: check 0.8.4-1
> >    Proposer: Gerrit P. Haase
> >    Proposal: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-09/msg00339.html
> >              http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/check/check-0.8.4-1.tar.bz2
> >              http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/check/check-0.8.4-1-src.tar.gz
> >              http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/check/setup.hint
> >     Reviews: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak (2003-09/msg00345.html)
> >   Aye votes: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak (2003-09/msg00345.html) [1/3]
> >    HOLD-UPS: Not enough votes (need 2 more).
>
> Oh girls (and boys), I need it because `make check` for libexpat
> depends on it, libexpat is used e.g. by XFree86 and gettext so give me
> a chance.  I'm willing to maintain it, the review was 'ok', so what is
> the problem here?  Why are you so picky with your voting?  Look at other
> distributions packages list, e.g. for Suse you get the DVD with 6000
> packages...

Ok, you've convinced me.  This has my vote.

> > Package: d 1.2.0-1
> >    Proposer: Yaakov Selkowitz
> >    Proposal: mailto:cygwin-apps-get.11472@cygwin.com
> >              http://mywebpage.netscape.com/yselkowitz/cygwin/d/d-1.2.0-1.tar.bz2
> >              http://mywebpage.netscape.com/yselkowitz/cygwin/d/d-1.2.0-1-src.tar.bz2
> >              http://mywebpage.netscape.com/yselkowitz/cygwin/d/setup.hint
> >     Reviews: Gerrit P. Haase (cygwin-apps-get.11476)
> >   Aye votes: Gerrit P. Haase (cygwin-apps-get.11476) [1/3]
> >    HOLD-UPS: Not enough votes (need 2 more).
>
> How much ITPs where seen without a real interest or ability from the
> maintainer tobe?  This one is not one of these, I like this tool, that
> was the reason I was voting, even if I wouldn't use it, I think it is
> nice to have an alternative to 'ls', maybe other people think similar
> and want to give it a try?
>
> The most packages are really needed to develop applications and to
> maintain packages, but OTOH Cygwin should respect the users who just
> want to use it as their favourite system to drive the Windows
> subsystem, so give them tools to use this system.  Want to say, vote
> if you don't think it is a really bad idea to have some alternative
> directory lister (questions like: "who needs it when we have ls?" are
> well known, but these answers are not a veto!).
>
> Gerrit

I wanted to vote for this, but I wasn't sure just how useful this would be
for people coming in from the Unix world and being familiar with "ls"...
Then I had an idea -- if Yaakov could provide either a wrapper script or
an example alias that would redirect "ls -l" to this application, it would
make it much more useful, i.e., you install it and get an alias you can
use in your shell (from /etc/profile.d/d.sh, for example -- just don't
forget that it'll be invoked for ash as well, which doesn't understand
aliases).  I'll try to come up with something of this sort when I have the
time.  Once I do, this will have my vote (not just yet, sorry).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu