Re: Question about gcc-mingw package renaming

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 04:41:47PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>Christopher schrieb:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 01:13:28PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>>Hallo,
>>>
>>>I would like to rename this package to mingw-gcc.  Probably it would be
>>>no bad idea to introduce a new category 'MinGW' similar to the 'XFree'
>>>category for future additions.
>>>
>>>Any comments?
>
>> It is not worth the aggravation.
>
>Just a thought.  Wouldn't be too much work for me now as I'm nearly
>finished now I'm going to tar it up soon.
>
>> (and I haven't officially passed the gcc maintainership baton to you
>> yet)
>
>Oh.  Anyway, I have another question about the mingw package.  I think
>it is neccessary to include also the MinGW version of libgcj.a as it is
>done with libstdc++ to get gcj working with -mno-cygwin and similar with
>the ada_lib & ada_include directories.  Since it would be a huge package
>this should also be splitted like I will do for cygwin-gcc, one package
>for each front end and one for the core (including the c front end).

Ah, that's a horse of a different color.  If you are going to be breaking
things apart then moving to a new package name would make sense.

However, the question is if it provides more value to have a
gcc/{gjc,gcc,f77} and  mingw/{gcc,gcj,f77} etc. or a
gcc/{mingw/{gcj,gcc,f77},gcc,f77} .

I don't really know.  I think I'd have a mild personal preference for
seeing things sorted like:

gcc
gcc-mingw
gcj
gcj-mingw

over

gcc
gcj
gdb
.
.
.
mingw-gcc
mingw-gcj

but I wouldn't object if you disagreed.  It would be interesting to
see what others think.

I do sort of like the idea of extending the current mingw directory
to include other mingw packages as needed but the gcc stuff isn't
really a mingw package.  It is a cygwin program that produces mingw
objects.  That's a subtle difference.

>Then the package names would be gcc-g++-3.3.1-3.tar.bz2, ... and
>gcc-g++-mingw-3.3.1-3.tar.bz2, ...
>
>Would be easier for Joe User if the MinGW packages are easy to identify
>with the mingw prefix.

See above.  I think that's an "it depends".  If I was looking for gcc
and knew about mingw, I might expect to find a gcc-mingw package.

However, I would be interested in hearing the consensus on this one.