Re: Maintainers/Packages List, 2003-11-01

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Daniel Reed wrote:

> On 2003-11-01T16:42-0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> ) On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Daniel Reed wrote:
> ) Anyway, ELinks is a much better project, mainly the 0.5
> ) prereleases, but they have problems running under cmd.exe.
>
> I would hesitate at including (and thereby potentially endorsing) ELinks,
> which appears to be a "hostile fork" of the Links project code. Links is
> relatively feature-rich and is still actively maintained, and its
> maintainers advise against using ELinks.

Nobody should judge ELinks (or any project) based on false and
rude comments some Links2 maintainers put at
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/development.html
months ago. Yes, why haven't they put it when ELinks was made ?
Was it because it became a popular project ?

What if I were the ELM author and wrote the same about Mutt ?

Can you trust something like

"Elinks. A highly buggy and experimental web browser based on
obsolete versions of Links. Basicaly a ton of patches of
dubious quality applied on the old Links code. The author of
ELinks even doesn't know the C language, he just know how to
use the patch program. Main drawback of ELinks is unability to
support graphics.  This code isnot supported by Twibright
Labs."

after you see how ELinks is maintained ?

If the author "even doesn't know the C language, he just know
how to use the patch program.", I wonder from where he got all
code. Not to mention ELinks is a much more open project, with
CVS repository, IRC channel, and the like.

What a joke from the (not all) Links2 maintainers.

ELinks supports a lot of features Links and Links2 don't have,
and also has gettext support, not those hardcoded translations
in the binary. I'd even say the only things it lacks are "Main
drawback of ELinks is unability to support graphics support
graphics" and the small JavaScript support. Other than that...

And before someone asks, I'm just an user of all those
browsers (and am still more used to Lynx). I really wish they
were all friends.

Quoting you:

I would hesitate at including Links2 (and thereby potentially
endorsing) after reading
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/development.html
(I can't access it, and someone told me they removed it).
Google's cache:
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:kWX-hV4GMtMJ:atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/development.html&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

:-)

Just my opinion, as an user.