Re: [RFC] Globally creating a user and a group "root"

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:52:48AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:46:48PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >My idea is basically the following:
> >
> >- On all NT systems, create a user account called "root" which is
> >  member of the administrators group.
> >[snip]
> >Comments?  If we agree to do as above (or similar), I would gladly
> >appreciate, if I wouldn't have to do it alone.
>
> I have always thought that it would be a good idea to implement a 'root'
> user since so many UNIX programs rely on its availability.  Anything you
> can do to make this so will be worthwhile, even if it isn't a perfect
> solution.  IMO.

What about generating a root group with mkgroup -l by default?

  root:S-1-5-32-544:0:

The question is then, should it *also* generate an administrators entry

  Administrators:S-1-5-32-544:544:

or should it generate the "root" entry *instead* of the administrators
entry?

Red Hat, Inc.