Re: automated PPL

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Daniel Reed wrote:

> On 2003-11-15T12:00-0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> ) On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:00:19PM -0500, Daniel Reed wrote:
> ) >I am going to start testing a new script to pull out package proposals from
> ) >cygwin-apps messages. I have a couple small requests that hopefully will not
> ) >be too intrusive.
> ) Should we make a package submittal web form which guarantees the kind of
> ) formatting that you need?
> )
> ) Hmm.  I guess if we made a form, you wouldn't have to parse email messages
> ) at all.
>
> Yeah, I just didn't want to cramp anyone's style [too much]. One of the most
> tedious things I have to do when I release a new version of naim is go to
> freshmeat, TUCOWS, etc. and navigate to/fill out forms to announce the new
> release.
>
> I was actually in the process of writing a template to use in an online form
> when I realized how "simple" the structure really was, and decided it would
> probably be just as easy to parse the messages as to ask people to fill out
> Yet Another Form.
>
> If anyone *would* prefer to have an online form to generate the message to
> cygwin-apps (and possibly the message to cygwin-announce once the update has
> been accepted), that's certainly something I can look into as well.

One advantage of the web form is that it (or the processing script) can
verify that all the necessary elements are present, and that the links are
accessible and the files uploaded correctly (if MD5 sums are provided),
before sending the message out.  We might need to distinguish between
messages that actually contain package files and those that simply propose
to package something.  Also, automated sending to cygwin-announce would
eliminate lots of cut-and-paste errors (especially in the categories).

I think it might be a good idea to have an option in the web form to send
the message to the originator instead of directly to cygwin-apps.  That
way, she could modify whatever parts of the message don't seem quite right
and then forward the message to cygwin-apps.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu