Re: minires-0.95 - a new package ready for review

At 04:35 PM 11/18/2003 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 05:39:04PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>> At 10:12 PM 10/11/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>> >
>> >since Elfyn has left us, would you mind to refresh the ITP for minres
>> >for inclusion in the Cygwin distro?  IMHO, having it in the distro at
>> >all is more important than having it integrated into newlib.  This
>> >can still be done at a later, convenient time.
>>
>> I have contacted Elfyn privately about that after his good-bye e-mail
>> and he answered that integrating minires in newlib was one of the
>> projects he would complete. So I am cc'ing him.
>
>Do we have any progress here?  I'd love to get a minires package into
>Cygwin ASAP, regardless if as part of newlib or as standalone library.
>For the sake of getting it in quickly, I'd prefer to get it as its own
>package for now.  Unfortunately, with the given GPL license it wouldn't
>be possible to be put into newlib nor into Cygwin directly.  Did we
>straighten that out already?  I don't remember...

The GPL licence was never discussed. I don't know what newlib wants.

>The reason for the hurry is, OpenSSH will probably require the resolver
>functionality in the next version.  If they don't revert these changes,
>we're stuck with 3.7.1p2 for a while :-(((
>
>I built my own version of minires-0.97 and installed it.  Except for
>the need to add "-lresolv", ssh could be built fine with it.
>
>Corinna

No news from Elfyn, so I have packaged it.

minires-0.97-1 contains only the dll, the LICENCE and the README
minires-devel-0.97-1 contains the .h and .a, as well as a postinstall to
 link libresolv.a (if it doesn't exist) to libminires.dll.a, but no
 LICENCE nor README (they would be identical to the previous ones).
The two source packages are identical. Do we need two ?

setup.hint should be used for both minires-0.97-1 and minires-devel-0.97-1
I put it in the Libs category. Anything else, e.g. System?

Review? Vote?

Pierre

http://mysite.verizon.net/phumblet/minires-0.97-1.tar.bz2
http://mysite.verizon.net/phumblet/minires-0.97-src.tar.bz2

http://mysite.verizon.net/phumblet/minires-devel-0.97-1.tar.bz2
http://mysite.verizon.net/phumblet/minires-devel-0.97-src.tar.bz2

http://mysite.verizon.net/phumblet/setup.hint

# minires-0.97-1 setup.hint
sdesc: "A simple synchronous non caching stub resolver."
ldesc: "A simple synchronous non caching stub resolver
providing the basic functionality of bind.
It interfaces to Windows to find the DNS servers."
category: Libs
requires: cygwin