Re: ITP emacro 2.8.5

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

How about you let the users keep their existing .emacs, and simply prepend
a block of text to it in the postinstall script, something like

	;; Check whether EMacro is installed, and if so, source it
	(cond ((file-exists-p "/etc/EMacro.el")
	       (add-to-list 'load-path "/etc")
	       (require 'EMacro)))

if it's not already there. And then simply upgrade "/etc/EMacro.el" (or,
better yet, make that "/usr/share/emacro/EMacro.el", and change "/etc" to
"/usr/share/emacro").

Hmm. I had been thinking of turning EMacro into a site-init.el file. Perhaps it is time.
Some downsides:
There can be code in users' .emacsen, that will break or duplicate what is in EMacro.
I had been avoiding this in the past, as such an install would require root access, but this is a moot point for packages. I also wanted to assure that EMacro became stable, and that it is.
Note that the ~/preferences and ~/packages must be created for each user. This should be an easy code change for EMacro.

Igor
P.S. FWIW, "cream" sounds like a cool package. Are you going to ITP it?

Is there such a thing as a system .vimrc? /etc/vimrc, perhaps?
First, I must get past packaging EMacro. The author of cream is quite responsive. Try him, first.