Re: cygbuild as build script

* Thu 2003-11-27 Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> list.cygwin-apps
| Charles Wilson wrote:
|
| > Harold L Hunt II wrote:
| >
| >> 4) The script builds in the same directory as the source code.  I
| >> don't like that.  I have not yet (I hope) released a package that does
| >> this and I don't give good reviews to packages that do it.  If the
| >> package fails to build out of the source directory, than you can
| >> either use lndir or the similar but more portable suggestion that
| >> Chuck Wilson had a few weeks/months ago (don't remember what it was
| >> called).  If they cygbuild script doesn't yet support this, then it
| >> isn't ready for prime-time and you should hack up one of the scripts
| >> from another source package to do the job in the mean time.
| >

| > Disagree.  It is NOT a requirement that you must be able to build a
| > package outside of the source dir.  *I* find it convenient to do so,
| > solely because it makes it easier to generate a patch without
| > build-generated files making a mess of it.  But that's an issue for the
| > maintainer; if Jari has another system that works for him, let's not put
| > barriers in his way.
| >
| > Jari's package: (1) distributes source (2) distributes a patch (3)
| > contains a build script.  Except for the naming issues and worries about
| > clobbering that you raise, his system looks like it satisfies the spirit
| > behind our packaging guidelines.  That's enough for me.
|
| If cygbuild is going to ever be promoted as a build script, then it
| should continue to support building out of the source dir, whether it
| requires a flag (such as defaulting to not needing a hack and having a
| flag that tells it to us lndir or a similar hack) or not.
|
| If cygbuild isn't going to have that feature, then I will continue
| reviewing up to the point of everything being fixed expect for my niggle
| above.  I won't give such a package a "Good to go".  That is my choice.
|   Somebody else can pick it up and give it a "Good to go" at that point
| if they want to, but my choice is not to do so.

I'm back.

After long sickness and new issues at work, I'm catching up messages
in this list. If you haven't heard from me (personal mail addresses to
me), don't be supprised. My account got hijacked by spammers and among
other issues it took over month to set up all required filters in many
sites I receive and forward mail. You may have heard the worms that
included MTA coded in them.

Harold and all, thank you for all the suggestions. All will be fixed
soon and I roll out newly built Cygwin packages. I'll also add feature
to build in separate directory if user requests it.

Jari

--
http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/
Swatch @time   http://www.mir.com.my/iTime/itime.htm