RE: Pending patches for generic build script

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Rafael Kitover wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, I know what you mean.  But changing the gbs via small incremental
improvements is the way to go, IMO.  Using the "set +e" approach vs. the
current '&&' one will improve readability and make the gbs more robust.
FWIW, I've emptied my patch queue for now, so feel free to start testing.

> What I was planning to do was make a canonical Cygwin package, kind of like GNU
> Hello, using Hello as a base, and call it "boffo" to match the setup
> documentation :) Eventually we'll be at a point were a new maintainer can get a
> copy of boffo, tweak it, make their package, and have the package script do
> some basic sanity checks. Also add some sort of selftest function for the gbs
> against the canonical package, making development of the gbs itself a bit
> easier (it can really suck when you have to wait half an hour for a build to go
> through to check a minor tweak in the package script...)

I'm not sure I parsed all of this correctly, but I'll probably get it once
the patches actually arrive. :-)

> Another feature I've dreamt up is have an "update-script" function for
> the gbs, such that you could run pkg/CYGWIN-PATCHES/pkg.sh update-script
> which would get the latest copy out of cvs or wherever is appropriate,
> and patch the maintainer's script with the latest tweaks, as an
> interactive patch if necessary.

Sure, just don't call it "${PKG}.sh", since that name is now recognized as
a postinstall script...  The latest version of the gbs makes it somewhat
easier, since it now contains the CVS Id tag.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu