Re: ITP moratorium

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 07:55:17PM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:02:48AM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>> >But taking a close look at article.db, it seems everything that goes to
>> >ports.html was or is in index.html ?
>>
>> articles.db is the master source for the software and news.  You can
>> always check the web pages out via cvs if you are curious about how
>> things work.
>>
>> >Example:
>> >
>> >Title:  BerkeleyDB 4.0
>> >
>> >A more recent version is in Cygwin. Not to mention the link is
>> >broken.
>>
>> ...which was *exactly* what you were going to research.  Why are you arguing
>> the point again?
>
>Yes, but I was going to edit ports.html, and didn't know that
>editing article.db will also change such news.

That was two messages ago.  This isn't an argument.  I was telling
you what you should offer patches against.

>> Since you didn't provide a diff, I just quickly went through
>> the ported software list and found that all of the links,
>> except the one that you mentioned are still active.
>
>Or redirecting to another.
>
>> I didn't try to determine if the links still provided a
>> cygwin version of a package but I am satisified that the list
>> still serves its purpose.
>
>Exactly.
>
>1- FreeCIV seems to have moved to Windows and deprecated
>Cygwin:
>
>http://www.freeciv.org/ftp/packages/windows-X/
>http://www.freeciv.org/ftp/packages/windows/

For those reading at home, let's recap this discussion:

1) You send email saying "It's a shame that http://cygwin.com/ported.html
contains so many broken or outdated links.  Can I go through it and
submit a diff."

2) I say "Yes, but any diffs should be against the source file for this
page, however, which is article.db."

3) You say (paraphrasing) "I didn't know that this was the source page.  For
instance, here's an example of something that is wrong."

4) I mention that this is what you were going to research, hadn't
submitted a diff.

5) You are still hung up on the fact that you didn't know about article.db.
And, *now* you are start submitting updates but still not in the form of
a diff.

So, ok.  Nevermind.  Don't worry about it.  This is too painful a
transaction for such a minor task.