Re: emacs 21.2-13 available

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

- The info pages are still in /usr/info, they should be in /usr/share/info.

- Ditto for /usr/man vs. /usr/share/man.

I'll fix these. I had noticed the /usr/doc move to /usr/share/doc but not these, and they are trivial to change. I think I should review the current web page for Cygwin packagers to see if I missed anything else.

- Don't supply emacs-ctags.  It conflicts with the ctags package which
  provides an emacs independent ctags (and etags).

That was an oversight on my part. The package is available, but was never uploaded to the mirrors. So I just won't mention in it my next notice.

- The emacs-21.2-13.tar.bz2 as well as the emacs-X11/emacs-X11-21.2-13.tar.bz2
  provide a /usr/bin/emacs.exe binary.  So the emacs packages conflict
  with each other.

That's by design. The "emacs" package is the non-X11 version. If you install it and run "emacs.exe" you get the curses-based emacs. If you install emacs-X11, however, "emacs.exe" becomes the X11 version and "emacs-nox.exe" is the curses version. This is the way that RedHat does it (well, a year ago anyway) and is the reason it is set up that way. The idea being that the user just types "emacs" and doesn't have to think about "which emacs?".

I'll try to repackage today, but no promises -- I'm trying to finish up
packaging 21.3.50 so bleeding edge Cygwin users can bang on it.  It has been a
year since the official CVS source for emacs had the Cygwin patches rolled
in, but I see some noise on the emacs devel list that the next release may
STILL not include Cygwin support.  So I'm making an "experimental" release
for Cygwin users who want to do some testing.
--
Joe Buehler