RE: ITP moratorium still in effect?

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, GARY VANSICKLE wrote:

> > On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 03:05:11PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > I'd also like to see a formal justification for why a package should be
> > included, remembering that we have a "software" web page at cygwin.com
> > which can be used to advertise packages that aren't quite up to snuff
> > for the cygwin release.  I think we have accepted a couple of packages
> > here
> > which really only deserve to be advertised on the web site.
>
> Keep in mind that encouraging "unofficial" packages in this manner will:
>
> 1.  Result in more packages that aren't reviewed by anybody (e.g. Harold)
> and hence don't meet necessary Cygwin requirements (esp. FHS).

AFAIK none of the http://cygwin.com/ported.html were ever
reviewed.

> 2.  Ergo will result in messages to cygwin@ of the template: "<software
> web-page package> totally screws up Cygwin".

> 4.  Ergo will result in long, unproductive cygwin@ threads trying to tell
> the OP what one sentence could: "You're on your own with these packages".

For 2 and 4 you can make it clear on the above URL that such
packages aren't official, and any discussion about them should
take place on the application's mailing-list or directly with
the authors.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html