Re: A new method of storing package data base information, proposing packages, and announcing updates

On Mar 27 00:26, Daniel Reed wrote:
> If no #!src is provided, external-source will be required in the final
> .hint. If no external-source is provided when one is needed, the field will
> be set to the first "complete" package preceeding the current one. That is,
> in the above example, libfoo-devel will have an external-source of libfoo.

I would refuse the package instead.  Otherwise we could have pretty
funny results.

> If a fourth package, libfoo-demo, was provided without #!src nor
> external-source, it too would be given an external-source of libfoo
> (skipping over libfoo-devel). For truly binary-only packages (such as
> packages composed completely of shell scripts), #!src may be provided and
> left blank.

I would require

#!bin-only

> sufficient. This would make it easy to construct an automatic web form or
> special-purpose email address for package maintainers to cause new versions
> to be downloaded, auto-reviewed, and pushed to the live repository without
> any human intervention.

Urgh, no webform, please.  Why not keeping it on cygwin-apps, just
requiring a specific layout, beginning with some marker in the subject?

Also, you would have to make sure that this doesn't pull new packages
into the distro automagically, just because the layout of the announcement
and the packaging was correct ;-)

Red Hat, Inc.