Dummy "configure" added to the packaging templates

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Frederic L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >
> > > Many a time I've come across a project that only has a Makefile, with no
> > > configure.  To allow those projects to build outside of the source
> > > directory, I usually had to either change the build script's conf() rule
> > > or add a dummy configure script to copy all the files to the build
> > > directory.  I'm thinking of creating one generic version of such a script,
> > > and putting it in CVS with the packaging templates.  Comments?
> >
> > What does this buy is ? Why not just use lndir ?
>
> A couple of reasons.  First, lndir is not always available, and I'd hate
> to make developers install the whole XFree86-bin package just to build,
> say, wtf.  Secondly, lndir doesn't have the same invocation semantics as
> configure, so we'd have to change the generic-build-script yet again to
> accomodate it.  I'd rather include a dummy configure that does the "right
> thing" (i.e., populates the build directory with enough files to be able
> to build the package there).  If it makes you feel better, we could put in
> some code to detect whether lndir is available and if it is, use it under
> the covers.
>         Igor

In the absense of more serious objections, and considering Volker's
message to be a (sort of a) vote, I've committed a preliminary version of
this script (called "lnconf.sh") into the packaging/templates repository.
The script will use "lndir" if available (i.e., in the PATH).  It will
also attempt to do nothing if called from the source directory.  I've
tested it on my machine, and it seems to work, but I'd appreciate feedback
(and patches).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/