Re: [ITP] apr, apr-util

Reini Urban wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
>> On May  2 22:15, Max Bowsher wrote:
>>> APR is the Apache Portable Runtime. APR-util is an addon package to APR
>>> containing non-core useful features.
>>>
>>> Both are required by Subversion.
>>>
>>> I have prototype packages installed on my machine right now. I'll make
apr,
>>> then apr-util, sequentially available for review once my previous ITP
(neon)
>>> has finished the review process. Meanwhile, I'm posting this ITP to
solicit
>>> votes.
>>

>> +1
>>
>> Corinna
>
> Did I miss the url's for this cygwin tar.bz2?
> People are already voting without any package to review?

Correct, that's what I said in the paragraph you quoted.

This is quite reasonable, as voting and reviews serve totally different
purposes: Voting ensures that having a particular package in the distro is
deemed a worthwhile idea. Reviewing ensure that the particular
implementation of that idea is good.

> Max, can you please post your apr and apr-util urls, so that I can
> finish the svn src installation and check it. Or does apr*-0.9.4 compile
> out-of-the box?
>    ./configure --enable-layout=RedHat --libexecdir=/usr/sbin/
> I assume.

I made minor tweaks to convince libtool to build a shared library. Packages
will be available shortly.

> Dave's datadir defines --datadir=/usr/share, which should be /var/www.

No. APR installs libtool and makefile fragments into datadir. Those do not
belong in /var/www.

> layout=RedHat defines libexecdir /usr/lib/apr which should be /usr/sbin/

I'm not using layouts, I'm using the Cygwin set of directories as defined by
the generic-build-script.

> Otherwise I agree with Nicholas, to built svn with the included
> (duplicate) static apr and apr-utils libs, regardless of code bloat.
> Dave Slusher already did that.
> I don't have a vote, but I would vote no on apr, apr-utils, until
> stipe's status is verified.

Why? The fact that I am offering to package these libraries *now* does not
in any way hinder any possible future packages from Stipe.

> And as Max already said, Dave should fix his svn build to include the
> server and clean up the build mess: autom4te.cache, fix the doc paths
> and use the external neon built if found. Probably just the
> --with-neon=/usr line is enough, to find /usr/bin/neon-config

Actually, no option at all is required.

Max.