Re: opengl maintainer please fix your package to not create subdirectories in /usr/bin

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:44:42AM -0400, Andre Bleau wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>So, crossing the street when it says "Don't Walk" is ok since you saw
>>somebody do it just the other day?
>
>OK, but where is that "Don't Walk" sign posted?  As I did not see it,
>maybe I've overlooked something else...

I was assuming a basic understanding of how this kind of thing is
handled in linux.  Silly of me, I know.  I didn't even realize (or at
least didn't remember) that anyone would be putting subdirectories
in /usr/bin until this thread came up.

I do vaguely recall seeing the ncurses stuff there at one point and
thinking that I should mention it to Chuck but obviously I never did
so.

>And:
>
>>The subject says it all.  Please don't create subdirectories in /usr/bin
>>with the one historical exception of the X11 directory.
>
>1- Suggestion for locating application-specific directories, please?
>/usr/sbin seems a good candidate to me, as there are alreay some
>subdirectories for awk, gnuplot, emacs... But maybe there is another
>low-visibility "Don't Walk" sign over there...

Did you check /usr/sbin to see if there are subdirectories there?
cygwin is a project which tries to duplicate linux functionality on
Windows.  Linux does not have subdirectories in /usr/bin, /bin, /sbin,
or /usr/sbin.

As far as where to put this, I'll leave that to you.  I would suggest
looking at how linux distributions do it, e.g.

http://rpmseek.com/rpm/glui-1.01-1.i386.html?hl=com&cs=libglui.a:FN:0:0:0:0:202272

>2- Does it need to be done ASAP or can I wait for the next release?

As long as it is rectified eventually.  Thanks.