Re: [RFC] Change to subversion package: Move /usr/bin/* -> /usr/bin/subversion/* and add symlinks in /usr/bin

Robert McNulty Junior wrote:
> In order to be more Unix-like, /usr/bin does not have subdirectories.
> Look at the structure of Linux. I'm going to remove Windows Services for
> Unix and just use both Cygwin and Visual studio.
> Try and look into /usr/bin on Linux and see what Chris is talking about.

I've not seen any statements that unix *cannot* have subdirs in /usr/bin.
It generally doesn't, because to do so would defeat the mechanism of the
PATH envvar.

So, that really doesn't suggest that we shouldn't create subdirectories in
/usr/bin where appropriate.

I submit that it is appropriate in this case, because:

* The problem I'm trying to solve requires that the cygsvn*.dll files not be
in the same directory as python.exe

* It is an established Cygwin standard that DLLs go in /usr/bin

Therefore, a subdir in /usr/bin seems the best compromise of the above 2
points.

Max.

On
> Behalf Of Max Bowsher
> Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 6:18 PM
> To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: [RFC] Change to subversion package: Move /usr/bin/* ->
> /usr/bin/subversion/* and add symlinks in /usr/bin
>
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 02:08:55PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>>>
>>> I propose to relocate all the above into a directory
/usr/bin/subversion,