Re: [RFC] Change to subversion package: Move /usr/bin/* -> /usr/bin/subversion/* and add symlinks in /usr/bin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:18:23AM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:

/usr/bin/subversion,

>>> Sorry, no.  /usr/bin is a flat structure.  It does not contain
>>> subdirectories.
>>
>> What is the reason for this?  I feel this specific case would be a
>> sensible exception to the rule.
>
> Did you read the rest of this thread?  Just mimic how other packages
> on linux do it.  There is no need to invent a new way of doing this
> when there are already standard ways in existence.
>
> If you are using symlinks anyway, there is no reason why you need
> to create a directory in /usr/bin.

I did read the rest of the thread - I presume the /usr/lib suggestion is
what you are referring to.

My reluctance to do that is because the standard place to look for DLLs and
programs on Cygwin is /usr/bin. I don't understand why, because they need to
be in a subdirectory, they should transfer to the less obvious /usr/lib
tree.

Also, there are no packages on linux doing this that I can compare with, as
linux doesn't have to resort to workarounds to avoid a deficient runtime
linker.

I could put them in /usr/lib - but I would really like to understand why
people don't want them in /usr/bin - so far the only reason that has been
revealed to me is "linux doesn't do that", but as I have said, linux is
never in this situation, so that's not a very satisfying reason.

Max.