Re: approval procedure

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> >The current maintainers are eligible to vote.
>
> How does one go about generating interest for packages that the
> maintainers would be unlikely to use themselves?   E.g. packages
> targeted for particular pre-existing scientific communities?  Is
> advocacy appropriate on this list?

One of the attributes of an ideal maintainer is having a feel for what
packages would be useful for the community, even though she would not use
them herself. :-)

It might help if you included some info about where a particularly obscure
package was leading (e.g., I have no idea what HDF5 is or does, but I may
have heard of the other package you intend to produce that requires it).
The original ITP message is a good place to include any justification or
advocacy you may have for the package.  On the other extreme, I doubt
bombarding the list with advocacy or vote soliciation messages every day
or so is going to endear you to the maintainers. :-)

Also, maintainers are usually a busy lot, and you can't really expect the
votes only one day after an ITP.

If worse comes to worst and you don't get the votes (probably because the
maintainers assume that there aren't many members of the target community
using Cygwin), you can host your own package server with just those
packages that weren't accepted (see
<http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/package-server.html>)...

Oh, and if some package does get the votes, all of its prerequisites are
more or less automatically accepted...

Hope this helps,
	Igor
--