Re: gtk2-win32 vs. gtk2-x11

Hello Corinna,

Corinna writes:
>>> Can you explain a bit more?  Are they using different header files
>>> with the same name instead of using #define's a lot, etc?
>>
>> There are the executables:
>>   /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders.exe
>>   /usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0.exe
>>   /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-csource.exe
>>   /usr/bin/gtk-demo.exe

> What about having two versions each, as with the *.a files?

>     /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders-x11.exe
>     /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders-win32.exe
> etc.

Some changes in the code will be neccessary, since there is just one
default directory where these programs are loooking for the loaders /
modules.  Well, IIRC the loaders only depend on gdk-pixbuf which is
not depending on gtk.  The executables name is no problem.

>> in the x11 version they are linked against
>>   /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.dll.a
>>   /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dll.a
>> the win32 ones are linked against
>>   /usr/lib/libgdk-win32-2.0.dll.a
>>   /usr/lib/libgtk-win32-2.0.dll.a

> And the DLLs have the same name, without some x11/win32 suffix (sort of)?

Yes.  This is already included in the source, they have managed to get
half the way.  But it is not possible to build both versions at the
same time.

>> The headers are the same for both packages, probably with some
>> #ifdef's.  The GTK+ immodules have the same name, but are linked
>> against the main library (x11 or win32 version).  All the locale

> Where are the immodules located, usr/share/$foo?  Any sense to
> create appropriate subdirs x11/win32?  Too complicated?

/usr/lib/gtk/2.4.0/...

Hmmm, should be possible. At least I can run the two builds one after
another and then package the binaries into one tarball.  Lets see if
it works out somehow.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=