Re: Seeking initial reactions: Moving setup from CVS to Subversion?

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
Well, since my name's been mentioned...  Actually, you did miss a whole
category of people -- the anonymous CVS users...  But read on.

Well, there's always anonymous svn. Restricted to that role, the learning curve from cvs to svn is small indeed.

Personally, I don't mind having to install another VCS to work on setup,
especially since the usage transition seems relatively painless, and if
only for the ability to do disconnected 'add's and 'diff's...  It would
also give me an opportunity to play with subversion, learn it, and maybe
consider it for my local version control on other projects.

One thing, however, that did come up, and that I deem important, is that I
sometimes use the web interface to CVS (the CVSWeb that CGF mentioned) to
either track changes or retrieve an older version of some file.  That and
the commit messages to cygwin-apps-cvs are pretty much essential for me,
so unless they could be done with subversion as well (and as nicely), I'd
have to speak out against the switch.

Both could.

A wild idea: if there were some way to present a CVS view on a subversion
repository (i.e., have an adapter client that behaves exactly like cvs),
and to hook up that view to CVSWeb and anonymous read-only repositories
(so that people wouldn't have to use svn unless they mean to make changes
to setup), that would, IMO, satisfy pretty much everyone (including me).

It wouldn't be particularly hard to have svn commits replicating into a read-only cvs repository. I'll keep the idea in mind should the resource situation on sourceware ever change sufficiently that a pilot svn project becomes feasible.

Max.