Re: Seeking initial reactions: Moving setup from CVS to

Robert Collins schrieb:
On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 22:21 +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
Subversion is not a pre-condition for my work on setup - just something that would be extremely useful. I'm sure you can understand why contemplating moving lots of source files into subdirectories, whilst using cvs, does *not* fill me with joy. I guess it's time for me to look into the scripted-munging-of-RCS-files solution.

Whats wrong with: cvs del old-file cvs add new-file

??

I'm asking this seriously - yes blame is cute, but its really not
essential.

You loose the whole revision history of the moved file/dir.

So that you usually ssh to the cvs repo, move it there physically, and update your local cvs copy then.
At work I used some scripts to do that automatically.
But you need shell access to the repo, or provide another server just to move it. At sourceforge this is the most common support request. There's is no special solution, and staff usually moves cvs ,v files and dirs all day long.

That's why most people want to move to a better VCS. If it's arch, svn, mcvs (which is just on top of cvs, so the least pain), or others.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/