Re: [ITP] email-2.3.0

Ross Smith II wrote:

[snip]

Also, given that
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nail/nail/README?rev=HEAD&view=markup
states:

"On the other hand, I strongly discourage from porting nail to Windows
and environments that make Windows look Unix-like; I won't accept any
patches or suggestions that go in this direction. There are two major
reasons for this: First, any port makes maintaining harder; there are
always more work-arounds in the source, and introducing new features
involves the question whether they will work an all supported platforms.
The more different a platform behaves from, let's say, the common Unix
way, the more hacks have to be made, costing human time that could
otherwise have been used to enhance the software for Unix platforms.
Windows is just not worth this, and here we are at the second point:
Porting software to Windows encourages people to use -- that is: to buy
-- Windows. It supports a company that is known to threaten Open Source
software like nail. In short, porting nail (or similar free software)
to Windows has an ill effect on that software. Don't do it."

My general response to arguments like that is: fuck 'em. I'll port it just to be a thorn in the guys side.

Harold