Re: [Review: no go] script-20041106-1

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Andrey Butov wrote:
>
> > I want to package and maintain the 'script' utility
> > for Cygwin. This is a cygwin implementation of the
> > UNIX script utility, which can be used to record a
> > transcript of all activity in the terminal session.
> > This includes a recording of all inputs and outputs.
> > The results are stored in a file which is called
> > 'typescript' by dfault.
> >
> > http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/abutov/setup.hint
> > http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/abutov/script-20041106-1.tar.bz2
> > http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/abutov/script-20041106-1-src.tar.bz2
>
> Andrey,
>
> Cygwin packages don't automatically get uploaded -- they have to first get
> voted on and reviewed by other maintainers.  You need five votes, and all
> those who decide to review have to give a "Good-to-go" (GTG) before the
> package gets uploaded.  Some packages, notably ports of well-known
> utilities included in Linux distros, are exempt from the voting
> requirement.
>
> Here's one review (though not a GTG one).
>
> Disclaimer: I haven't actually tested the binary or looked in depth at the
> C source file, so the comments below are based solely on packaging.
>
> The binary package contains no documentation whatsoever -- no man page, no
> READMEs, and the help option leaves much to be desired (i.e., you only get
> help if you give wrong arguments to the executable).  The Cygwin-specific
> README contains no information about the canonical project page, version,
> or development history, but does include the Makefile (from the source
> package) verbatim.
>
> I couldn't determine whether the executable is stripped -- if it isn't, it
> needs to be.
>
> Oh, and a couple of minor nits: directories in the tarballs start with ./
> -- this is annoying; and please don't put comments in setup.hint -- they
> belong in the ITP message or the Cygwin-specific README.
>
> I suggest changing the Cygwin-specific README to include at least the
> information from setup.hint,

Grr, forgot to add: for a Cygwin-specific README template, see
<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/packaging/templates/generic-readme?cvsroot=cygwin-apps>
HTH,
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT