Re: setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 02:08:58AM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Lapo Luchini wrote:
>>>It would be nice if setup.exe supported the rsync protocol.  That would
>>>also give you the ability to suspend and resume.  I don't know how easy
>>>it would be to get librsync working in a mingw environment, though.
>>
>>This may not be really "up-to-date" but rsync use is still "your life
>>is so much better if you spawn an actual rsync program to do the work",
>>e.g.  rsync authors themself "suggest" not to use librsync.
>
>Plus, with ftp resume and http byte-range support from libcurl (or
>equiv) you can achieve almost the same thing.

I am aware that you can do the same thing with other protocols.

Some of the mirrors provide rsync so it would be nice to be able to
use rsync as another option alongside http and ftp.

I wasn't aware that librsync used a different protocol so that
suggestion is obviously no good.