Re: maybe-ITP: bsdiff

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 06:10:03PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On May 16 11:56, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >The problem is that it's not clear if BSDPL is an OSS license in the sense
>> >which is covered by the Cygwin license excemtption according to section 10
>> >of the GPL.
>>
>> Why does it need a cygwin license exemption if we're distributing the source
>> code under the terms of the GPL?  Are we afraid that someone will take the
>> binary from our distribution and distribute it under another license?
>
>Don't make me nervous with legal stuff, that's unfair!
>
>AFAIU, an OSS product in excempt from becoming GPL'ed automatically when
>build against the Cygwin DLL only if the license is an approved OSS license
>given a specific definition of the term OSS.  The BSDPL license used for
>bsdiff is apparently questionable.  The important part is that BSDPL
>explicitely restricts it's openness in relation to the GPL, because the
>author of the BSDPL license doesn't want the code ever to become
>"GPL-tainted", whatever he means by that.

I understand that.  But the whole issue here is one of distribution.  If
we are distributing this under the terms of the GPL then we don't have
to worry since presumably we are complying with both licenses.  If
someone else wants to take the binary and distribute it outside of the
terms of the GPL, then the onus is on them to worry about the legal
issues.