Re: ITP: graphviz

Vlad wrote:
 Official word from the developers is that the package doesn't come
compile right out of the box, but various  people have reported success
in doing so after some tweaking.    So if this package is approved I
will attempt  to track down all the missing dependencies and  create a
patch for this package to be build under cygwin.

  My primary goal is to buiild the dot program which is used by the
doxygen package to generate the source  documentation.  I will do my
best to get the other parts working as well.

Sounds good. I looked briefly at this when I packaged doxygen, but found the many dependencies meant that this is quite an undertaking.

  My plan  is to use as much shared libraries  ( libgd  , libfreetype )
as practical,  and  link the missing libraries  statically.

That would work, but I would suggest strongly considering packaging the additional libraries as individual packages, and linking them dynamically. I took this approach with Subversion's dependencies (apr, apr-util, neon), and it has paid off rather well in terms of decreased build times of the main package, and the ability to fix bugs in dependencies independently of the dependant package.

  Here is my proposed setup hint.
----------------------------------------------------  cut here
--------------------------
sdesc: "graph visualization software"
ldesc: "Graphviz is open source graph visualization software. It has
several
main graph layout programs,  web and interactive graphical interfaces,
auxiliary tools, libraries, and language bindings.

The Graphviz layout programs take descriptions of graphs in a simple text
language, and make diagrams in several useful formats such as images and
SVG for web pages, Postscript for inclusion in PDF or other documents;
or display in an interactive graph browser.

Graphviz has many useful features for concrete diagrams, such as options
for colors, fonts, tabular node layouts, line styles, hyperlinks, and
custom shapes.

In practice, graphs are usually generated from an external data sources,
but they can also be created and edited manually, either as raw text files
or within a graphical editor. (Graphviz was not intended to be a Visio
replacement, so it is probably frustrating to try to use it that way.)"

Wow, that is a *long* ldesc. I'd suggest just the first 2 paragraphs should be ldesc, and put the entire thing in the Cygwin-specific README file.

category: Graphics
requires: cygwin
external-source: package

That external-source line is wrong, check the website docs again.

Max.