Re: Blind people using setup.exe?

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Nikhil Nair wrote:
>
> > [...]
> I'm sorry to say that the chooser is currently not accessible.  I'm sure
> some setup developers have half-baked attempts to decouple the logic from
> the chooser in their private sandboxes (I do), but nothing worth even
> showing to others, apparently.
>
> Assuming you have the ability to edit files, as a temporary workaround you
> could add the following line to your /etc/setup/installed.db (in
> alphabetical order):
>
> emacs emacs-0-0.tar.bz2 0
>
> and re-run setup.  It should now "upgrade" the version of emacs it thinks
> you have (0-0), effectively installing emacs.
>
> HTH,
> 	Igor

Thanks, Igor - that workaround performed flawlessly.

Am I right in suspecting that, if I were to use this method for another
package which had unsatisfied dependencies, setup.exe wouldnt' sort out
those dependencies for me?  Or would it assume the dependencies had
changed since version 0-0, and handle them seamlessly?

On a different note, could anyone spare a few minutes to describe exactly
how you operate the chooser, as a sighted user?  If I can understand what
I should be doing with the mouse, I may be able to get my screen reader to
emulate that; it has quite a bit of power to simulate clicks, holding the
mouse buttons etc., though most blind people don't use them since
ordinary keyboard access is so much easier.  Applications which need mouse
manipulation of that sort are generally considered to be inaccessible, but
that doesn't mean you can't get them working if you know what to do.

Cheers,

Nikhil.