Re: Observation for ALL maintainers who provide dlls (was Re: question for perl maintainer)

Charles Wilson wrote:

> I'll try to find the *original* discussion of this issue, which should
> have occured BEFORE June 2001...

I think the previous discussion that Robert mentioned was actually only a few days earlier in June 2001, on the cygwin-developers list:

"dll base address"
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2001-06/msg00037.html

It doesn't add much to this current discussion, beyond what is contained in the threads I've already posted. There is this, tho:

"Re: ld --auto-import for cygwin and libtool"
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2001-07/msg00039.html

> ps. the relevant history in a nutshell:
>
> 1) Paul releases his patch (documented as just adding --auto-import)
> 2) Robert (thats me :]) starts playing with it and finds fork() is
>    broken
> 3) Robert finds that the [DLL] relocation is the problem
> 4) Robert finds that Pauls patch _ALSO_ enabled --auto-image-base,
>    which is [normally] disabled by default.

Which goes back to the reason why disentangling the discussion of enabling auto-image-base by default, and the discussion of adding auto-import functionality to binutils, was separated.