Re: upload: diffstat-1.40-1, tar-1.15.1-1

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:24:50AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>tar: new maintainer, new upstream release.  Instead of linking against
>binmode.o and forcing text mode on the exceptions even on binary mounts,

I'm not sure what the above is implying but I didn't link with binmode.o
when I packaged tar.

>I fixed the source code to always request bin mode on the files where
>it matters, so that text files are created according to the mount
>point's mode.

This is not a fix.  It is a change in philosophy.  If you changed things
so that reading a file via -T uses the mount mode or if you changed it
so that reading the incremental information uses the mount mode, it
is actually a bug.

The philosophy that Corinna and I have decided upon for cygwin tools is
basically what is available with automode.o.  This makes the default
such that you open for read in text mode and open for write in binary
mode.  This produces files which do not have the CRLF line endings which
is appropriate since cygwin is a linux emulation.