RE: Drop textmode from setup?

I've always seen it the opposite way: only use binary mounts if you know
what you're doing, otherwise you'll constantly have two problems:

- Text files created by Cygwin programs will trip up many native programs.
- Text files created by native Windows programs will almost certainly trip
up Cygwin programs.

The second has historically been a much bigger problem for me than the
first, so I've been using text mounts forever.

> At least, it's about time to publish the latest setup version
> with the improved interface which very explicit recommends UNIX mode.

Unless the Unix world has turned from its evil ways while I wasn't looking,
I don't see how that makes sense.  Didn't we just go through a bunch of
hassle because tar (*tar* of all gotta-have-it-working-and-solid programs)
was trying to read everything as a text file (i.e. "r")?

> Venting,
> Corinna

You don't hate the "\n/\r\n/\r/whatever" problem half as much as I do, but I
just don't see how binary mounts are a good idea for the "newbie" Cygwinner.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle