Re: Multiple pending setup patches

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Igor, I'm very thankful to have patches from you, and I appreciate that
> you're contributing.  I seriously need to work on being more timely
> about this.

It's okay, I just wanted to make sure they didn't get lost in the noise...
I've applied the patches.  Actually, one of them turned out to be stale,
as I've added a bit more functionality afterwards and forgot to resubmit
the patch, so I applied a new version, since the change was minor.

> > <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-09/msg00503.html>
> >         (GTG: <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-09/msg00514.html>)
>
> I suppose this is OK too.  The only reservation I have is that it
> imposes a new requirement on all package maintainers: that if your
> package contains a postinstall script you must include bash in the
> "requires" line.  That is something that I think many packagers will get
> wrong.  It's non-obvious because both bash and ash are in category Base
> and can be assumed to exist on any system.  It might be better if setup
> could figure this out on its own -- when unpacking the package if it
> sees a .sh file in /etc/postinstall, it should add bash to the
> dependencies if not there already.  But that's probably a bit overkill.

I suppose it's possible to insert a package dependency on bash when any
postinstall script is detected in that package.  This would cause bash to
come first when postinstall scripts are ordered.  But that's not enough --
see below.

> On the other hand, accidently omitting this dependency is probably no
> worse than the current situation where the scripts are run in
> alphabetical filename order.

Agreed.

> So, go ahead.
>
> Maybe we should update the setup.html page to explicitly state this.
> And it would be nice if we could run a quick script against the package
> repository to check if there are currently any packages with postinstall
> scripts that don't have bash on their requires line.

Technically, these packages *do* require bash, and coreutils, and possibly
others, so automatic dependency detection is hard (we don't want to have
setup parse shell scripts).  Perhaps we should augment the "depends"
function of the g-b-s to also look at the postinstall script and find
packages for all commands invoked in it?

> > <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-09/msg00508.html>
>
> OK.

I have another "error message improvement" patch in my local tree
(attached).  Here's the ChangeLog entry, but I'm hoping I'll be the one
applying the patch if it's approved.  Let me know what you think.

2005-10-14  Igor Pechtchanski  <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>

	* io_stream.cc (io_stream::open): Better log message on error.
	(io_stream::mkpath_p,io_stream::remove,io_stream::mklink): Ditto.
	(io_stream::move,io_stream::exists): Ditto.

> [snip]
> Go ahead and commit those.  And again, thanks.

You're welcome.

> I have been wanting to release a new setup with these and the other
> minor fixes that have gone into it since the last release.  However,
> there are two things I'd like to resolve first:
>
> 1. This time we should do a release candidate, and advertise its
> availability on the main list.  With the last release there was a whole
> flood of bug reports, which tells me that hardly anyone reads
> cygwin-apps closely enough to tun test releases announced there.

FWIW, I've hosted an alpha version of setup-2.513 on my web site, and had
quite a few downloads (about 20, with no complaints so far).

> 2. I'd like to really fix this "package validation error" thing
> [snip]

Yes, that looks like a tricky one...  Good luck!
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu