Re: Multiple pending setup patches

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Bas Buzz van Gompel wrote:

> Op Tue, 18 Oct 2005 01:35:12 -0400 (EDT) schreef Igor Pechtchanski:
> :  On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Buzz wrote:
>
> : > Op Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:30:34 -0400 (EDT) schreef Igor Pechtchanski:
> [Mirror manually added or stale.]
>
> : > :  You are assuming that the format of the last-mirror file is fixed and
> : > :  won't change.  We could keep the fact that the user typed in the mirror
> : > :  URL as opposed to clicking on one of the official ones...
> : > :  	Igor
>
> : > Would it not be possible to use the cached mirror-list to
> : > differentiate the two cases? (Only warn if a mirror is used which is
> : > in cache but not in new list. Keep the old mirror in the cache if
> : > the user wants to be warned again.)
>
> : > (I know, SHTDI.)
>
> :  a) the cached mirror-list was only introduced recently,
>
> I suggest using it. Your point?

That's one of the reasons it hasn't been done yet.

> :  b) the cached mirror-list is overwritten every time a successful
> :  connection is established with sourceware.org,
>
> That could change. (Or the stale mirrors might get appended.)

SHTDI.  PTC.

> :  c) this kind of information belongs in last-mirror, IMO, and
>
> That is also an option. Adding a ``stale''-flag there, if the user
> wants to be warned again, should work.
>
> Still, one could use the cached mirror-list to determine when an
> official mirror went stale since last connection.

SHTDI.  PTC.

> :  d) you said it: SHTDI.
>
> If there's interest, I'm willing to look into the source. (It may take
> me a while. The last time I looked at it is way back.)

There's always interest for setup improvements.  But, as I said before,
I've given it some thought, and it's my opinion that this information
belongs in last-mirror rather than mirror-list.  You are, of course,
welcome to take any approach you deem necessary.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu