Re: Problem with setup.hint of singular-helper

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 02:05:20PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Eric Blake wrote:
>>Sure enough, your analysis that this is a problem is correct.  But all
>>my poking around in the release directory couldn't find where
>>singular-helper
>
>You're right, I can't seem to tell how -helper is getting into
>setup.ini.  I thought that it was because the package filename was
>-helper but in a directory named -help but it appears that the package
>filename is indeed just -help so that doesn't explain it.  Perhaps the
>package originally had filename -helper, but was renamed because of an
>upset warning, and somehow upset kept the reference to -helper.

Part of the input to upset is setup.ini so, yes, it does keep state
around.  I probably don't need to do this anymore since, AFAIK, all of
the information in setup.ini comes from setup.hint files but it hasn't
been worth my time to get rid of this behavior.

This is one of the reasons why I don't want anyone but me editing setup.ini
on sourceware.org.  If you don't understand how things work, you are likely
to cause problems.  That wasn't the case here, but I mention it since it's
been a while since I have made the point and since it provides the perfect
opportunity for someone to tell me that this wasn't the case here.