Re: gtk2 using SysV memory? (Was: Re: [ITP] gvim-6.4)

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

The error message you see points to the fact that apparently some part
of gvim or subsequent libraries use SYSV shared memory.  The reason you
see this error message and I see a SIGSYS is that I don't have
CYGWIN=server set in my environment by default and no cygserver is
running unless I'm debugging it.

OK, I see this now as well locally, if I unset CYGWIN.

So what we have here looks like something I don't like, which is, that
running gvim requires to run Cygserver because something, gvim itself or
some library, is using SYSV shared memory.

After doing some experimentation, it looks like this isn't a specific
problem with gvim, but is common to gtk2 apps, e.g.:

$ CYGWIN= gcolor2
Bad system call

$ gcolor2
[runs]

I don't think that should be necessary, except in very trying cases like, say, a database like postgresql. So, whatever is using SYSV shared memory in this scenario, it shouldn't. The fact that I can start
gvim on local Xmingw server but not on a remote X server shows,
that SYSV shared memory can't be a necessity.

Gerrit?

Yes maybe, need to take a look at the configure and build logs though.

Gerrit -- =^..^=